If I’m know for any recipe it would be this one…and of course it’s not even my recipe but my Mom’s. this flour less chocolate cake that is filled with whipped cream is legendary.
So rich, yet so light and mildly sweet…you can taste the chocolate, the vanilla scented cream..the powdered sugar…it just works. It also is gluten free and uses only 6 simple ingredients. Give it a try..you’ll love it!
- 6 oz dark chocolate, 70% cacao minimum
- 2 tbs espresso or really dark coffee
- 6 farm-fresh eggs, separated
- ¾ c sugar
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp high-quality vanilla extract
- PREHEAT OVER TO 325
- Melt chocolate over double boiler, once melted as coffee..set aside to cool slightly
- Using a whisk, whip egg yolks and sugar in large work bowl until they lighten up in color and are nicely whipped and sugar fully incorporated
- Whip egg white in a stand blender until stiff peaks form but are not dry....1/4 tsp of cream of tartar is optional
- Once chocolate has cooled for about 10 minutes, whisk it into the egg yolks n sugar mixture until it's fully incorporated
- Using a rubber spatula fold in the egg whites in three equal additions, be careful not to deflate them. This should make the batter look very light and airy.
- Prepare your sheet pan: spray entire sheet pan with cooking spray, then cover with parchment paper...spray the parchment paper, then dump chocolate batter onto sheet pan and even it out
- PLace in oven for 12 minutes, the surface should look a bit dry...remove from oven then place a moist, clean kitchen towel over the cooked cake....allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile using the cold bowl of your stand mixer whip the cream and vanilla until it's very stiff..but not turned into butter.
- Remove towel....now the tricky part
- Use a round cookie cutter and cut rounds out for individual servings, layer 3 rounds with whipped cream cream in between....like this; bottom disc, add layer of cream, then middle disc, add layer of cream, top disc dust with powdered sugar... or for family style make large rectangles..3 per pan...then layer whipped cream and cake in intervals...top with powdered sugar.
- If all else fails...place chocolate cake in random pieces in a large serving bowl, add the cream, take a wooden spoon and mix it up...so it looks like a chocolate cream pudding ...taste equally good...serve in glass bowls...your guests will love it.