This eggplant parmesan recipe is much different then most. We use three cheeses one of them grated swiss which is very sharp. Unlike chicken parmesan, we DO NOT USE BREADCRUMBS as all others do. It’s breaded with egg and flour only. This cheesy and delicious Italian recipe is wonderful. It’s one of my favorite eggplant recipes.
- local fresh eggplants, peeled (or not peeled) and sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- Thoughtful Harvest Pasta Sauce (or your substitution)
- Thoughtful Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or your substitution)
- 4 fresh eggs
- Northern Italian Seasoning
- AP Flour
- Kosher Salt and black Pepper
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Swiss cheese, shredded
- - Make a breading station....add flour to a plate and whip eggs into a bowl, season both with salt, pepper and Northern Italian Seasoning
- -Heat about ¼ inch of olive oil in a large wide skillet, cast iron works well!
- -dust slices of eggplant with flour, then add to egg wash then into hot oil
- -Fry till golden then remove to drain on brown paper bags or paper towels
- -Layer eggplant with sauce and both cheeses making sure to use plenty of cheese, DO NOT drown the min sauce..use sparingly....less is better..
- Bake covered at 350 for 50 minutes, remove cover and wait until is starts to brown slightly and is very bubbly
CHEF’S NOTE: Make sure oil is not too hot…and change the oil after you do half the eggplant…clean oil is best.