This soup is amazing..there I said it! It’s easy to make and packed with wonderful flavors. The le puy french green lentils are really perfect for this soup. The flavor of the dried mushrooms is so present here you cannot escape the umami experience
- 1/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cups boiling water to re-hydrate them (save liquid for soup)
- 2 tbs good butter
- 3 tbs evoo
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 cups le puy French green lentils
- 5 cups good quality chicken stock
- fresh thyme, about 1 tbs, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Re-hydrate the mushrooms in boiling water, cover with plastic wrap and let sit 30 minutes.
- In a heavy bottom soup pot over medium-medium high add the butter and olive oil, then toss in vegetables and season with salt and pepper and add a sprig of thyme.
- Cook stirring often for 15 minutes or until vegetables start to caramelize…NOT BURN !
- Add lentils, stock, mushroom liquid, broth then bring to boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Cook until lentils are just tender.
- Bowl up soup, garnish with more thyme leaves and a few drops of good quality olive oil.
I hope you make this soup really soon. There are link below to find the 2 special ingredients…but try your local store too.