Ratatouille is not just a kids movie it’s also a fantastic Provencal dish made from vegetables including bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and olive oil. The dish varies from region to region but this is a good representation of what you’ll see….
Created By: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: just over one hour
Beverage Recommendation: Cold Beer, preferable Mexican Beer
This ground pork chili stew recipe is one I learned while working in the chilly mountains of Colorado. Pork green chili are popular out west and recipes like this are a perfect winter dish to warm up with. This one has a southwest flair that I love.
1 lb. ground pork
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
1 stalk celery, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
5 small cans diced green chilies (cans are about 4-5 ounces)
1 15 oz can white beans ( any canned white beans or chick peas)
1 quart chicken stock or veggie stock ( more or less depending if you want it “soupy” or stew like)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bunch of cilantro
1 chipotle pepper in adobo (optional)
kosher salt & black pepper to taste
1. In a large heavy bottomed pot, lightly sauté’ onions, garlic, celery, green pepper with salt and pepper.
2. Add ground pork, cook stirring often for 10 minutes.
3. Add green chilies, optional chipotle pepper, half of the cilantro (including the stems which should be chopped) stock, bay leaf, oregano.
4. Bring to simmer then cook uncovered for 25 minutes.
5. Add beans and a good handful chopped cilantro, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chef’s Note: After serving in a nice bowl, garnish with cilantro, sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Be careful to remove bay leaf.[/private]
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Recommended Beverage: California Chardonnay
Mussels are an easy shellfish to cook and with this broth you’ll need lots of bread for dipping. The lemongrass and garlic add to the flavor of the red curry and remember to use only the freshest mussels you can find.
3 lbs Black Mussels
2 cans coconut milk 3
3 tbs red curry paaste
3 tbs cilantro chopped
2 whole lemongrass chopped
1 whole lime wedges
2 tbs garlic chopped
1/2 cup red onion julienned
4 tbs unsalted butter
1 long baguette
1. In a large pot bring the coconut milk, red curry paste, white wine, garlic, red onion and lemongrass to a boil.
2. Add the cleaned mussels and lime. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, Shake the pot a few times during the cooking time.
3. Remove the mussels and place on a serving dish. Continuing to cook the broth, add the butter and cilantro stirring vigorously until well incorporated.
4. Pour the sauce over the mussels and serve with the baguette[/private]
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 40
Recommended Beverage: Pinot Noir
A delicious and earthy wild mushroom soup made with crimini and shitake mushrooms and fresh thyme.
2 cups wild mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup white onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup organic celery minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 qt organic chicken stock
2 tbs fresh thyme chopped
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and celery and stir through to release the flavors, 2-3 minutes. Season with pinches of salt and pepper.
2. Add the mushrooms to the pan. Re-season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, until mushrooms are nicely caramelized.
3. Carefully pour the white wine into the pan to deglaze – use a spatula to scrape up all the caramelized bits. Allow to reduce by 75%.
4. Add the fresh thyme to the mushrooms and stir through, then add the chicken broth and cream. Re-season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover and allow to come up to a simmer.
6. Puree with a blender (a stick blender is easiest). Taste and re-season, if desired.
7. Garnish with fresh chives and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Chef’s Notes: Fresh thyme and mushrooms go together very well! This soup, served with a tossed salad and scrambled eggs, would make a delicious lunch. Check out our organic dried mushrooms in the Harvest Eating store.[/private]