On today’s show I will be discussing a soup recipe called Ribollita. This dish hails from Tuscany and there are many variations but it always contains stale or day old bread. It also alwyas conaines beans, usually canellini beans and Italian black kale called Lacinato.
This soup like most Tuscan dishes has peasant origins. the name ribollita litterally means re-boiled. I love how hearty this soup is, perfect for acold winter of fall day. It’s a satisfying recipe and due to it’s rustic nature, it’s rather flexible…you feel free to make it your own.
In this episode I mention a new product called Umami Mia, a line ofvegan parmesan cheese I and developing which will be released soon. visit http://www.harvestetaing.com or http://www.facebook.com/umamimia to learn more.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced, 2 cups
- 1 carrot diced, 1 cup
- 2 stalks celery, 1 cup
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced turnip
- 1 15 oz can diced tomato and juices
- 3 vegan stock cubes, I use Rapunzel (amazon)
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1 cup canellini beans
- ½ cup garbanzo beans
- 6 cups chopped tuscan lacinato kale
- 3 cups bread cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 cups purified water
- In large dutch oven heat oil then saute all vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute then add tomatoes, water, beans, kale turnip, stock cubes.
- Season with salt and pepper, bring to boil , reduce heat add bread cubes, simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with thick cut toasted bread.