On today’s show I give you a twist, instead of burgers, bbq or hot diggity dogs I muse about Latin Food. In particular, pork carnitas, black beans and guacamole. Pork carnitas are quite easy to make, they just take 3 hours or more to slowly roast.
However the final result is amazing….with some good black beans, guacamole and lime juice-you’re in heaven.
Please SUPPORT the show by texting HEP to 33923 then choose a support payment….MUCH appreciated. Also, visit http://www.text.gives/hep for web based support options.
- 5 lbs pork shoulder (boston butt) cut into 2-3 inch chunks, fat included...
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper or 1 chipotle pepper minced
- juice of large orange, zest of same orange
- 3 tbs olive oil
- place everything in a large bowl, mix well...cover and marinate for 3 hours min at room temp....IT WONT SPOIL...I did not say leave it uncovered near the railroad tracks in the sun....
- preheat oven t o25-300 in that range, place pork into large covered pot or roasting dish, cover tightly with lid or foil cook for 3 hours or until very fork tender
- pour pork into colander and save juices, skim some fat off...
- place pork on sheet tray or back in the roasting dish, top with melted fat....broil for 5-10 minutes of until starting to go crispy on top
- Serve with beans, guacamole, lime juice, minced raw white onion...YUMMMMMMM